DIFFICULTY: Easy – Moderate
START: Dartmouth Castle car park TQ6 0JN
1. Follow the path up to the left of the old, ruined castle, signed ‘Coast Path Stoke Fleming 3 ½ miles’ and go up the steps.
2. At the top, cross the road to the left and take the path up to the right into the woods, past the National Trust ‘Gallants Bower’ sign.
3. Follow the path which climbs steadily up through the woods, until you emerge into the open and reach the old earthworks. The site is easily explored.
4. Retrace your steps then take the next path on the right to lead back down to the lane, turning right to follow it along.
5. After 400m, after the old Coast Guard cottages, go straight on through the gate ahead and around the top of the scrubby field.
6. Just before the gate at the far end of the field turn left and follow the hedge down for 100m then turn left again along the coast path.
7. The path drops steeply down the field. Towards the bottom bear left following the Coast Path waymarker along open area. At the fingerpost you can make an optional detour right down the footpath and steps to Compass Cove. Retrace your steps.
8. At the fingerpost go straight on. Go through the gate into the wooded area and follow the rocky path up the hill.
9. Follow the path as it begins to climb again and passes through the woods.
10. When you meet the road turn right. After 300m turn right back down the steps to Dartmouth Castle