START: Little Dartmouth car park TQ6 0JR, (if starting at Dartmouth Castle, begin at point 7)
1. Start walk through seaward side carpark signed, ‘Link to Coast Path, Dartmouth Castle 2½m’.
2. Follow field edge path down. Through kissing gate, head to right of bench and bear left along coast path.
3. Drop down through the valley beyond Compass Cove, follow ‘acorn’ waymarker. Towards the bottom of the valley, ignore the stile, and continue along the path, then through a gate.
4. Path eventually passes through woods. Bear right where path joins lane.
5. Here you have a choice. Option 1. is to continue down road. Alternatively, turn immediately right upon joining road, down footpath. Turn right at waymarker and follow coast path down steps and above sea. This route enjoys lovely sea views but involves several flights of steps, up and down. The route emerges past a picnic area to the road. Turn right and immediately right again as directed below to re-join the main route.
6. Turn right down steps signed ‘Coast Path, Dartmouth Castle’, to visit the castle, tearooms and toilets.
7. To return, retrace your route back up the steps and turn left along the road.
8. Follow the road passing sign reading ’Access to Compass Cove Cottages and Coastguard Station’.
9. Where the road ends, go straight on through gate and follow the bridleway.
10. Continue straight through Little Dartmouth Farm and back to the car park.